POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : TGA files containing HF_Gray_16 data, Question 1 : Re: TGA files containing HF_Gray_16 data Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TGA files containing HF_Gray_16 data
From: Ken
Date: 10 Apr 1999 19:14:17
Message: <370FCBC4.8854EE2B@pacbell.net>
F.VERBAAS wrote:

> So, when making a height field with a paint program, one will practically
> have to concentrate on the red channel only.  Fine 'tuning' using the less
> sensitive blue channel is not effective.
>
> This makes me now understand why my attempt to model ocean waves using a
> height field in POV, using multiple transparant layers with a sine pattern
> in the pigment have failed.
> I actually was applying a 255 steps height scale, with an annoying extra
> ripple on, of which I now know that it was the humble green channel,
> repeating wat the big red brother dictated.
>
> I suggest this is made more clear in the docs, that actually describe the
> possibility to generate a height field using POV.
>
> Is there anyone who is interested in a small application converting a normal
> TGA file with three effective channels into a correct HF_Gray_16 file using
> the relation '.3*Red+.59*Green+.11*Blue'?

I wonder if it would be possible to simply apply the standard greyscale
image you produced as an image map to a plane, render the image to full
screen using the hf_gray_16 settings, and then use the resulting image
as a color correct version. Would the translation work or would it simply
copy the incorrect data into a different format ?

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net